LEARNING CONFERENCES - FEBRUARY 1ST AND 2ND, 2018
Learning Conferences will take place on Thursday February 1st and Friday February 2nd for all students Kindergarten to Grade 4. There will be no classes for students on these two days.
Conferences can be booked through the School Soft Manager( under Important SWE Links page and below) and will open to families on Thursday January 18th at 6.00am.
Welcome to our SWE FFCA page!
Be sure to check out our gallery of pictures at the bottom of this page!
There are also important upcoming events and activities posted to this page.
Please find additional info on the Edsby feeds, the Edsby SWE School Talk page, or your child's classroom teacher's Edsby page. You can also follow us on Twitter at @ffca_swe !
Winter Conditions- Parking Alert
Winter Conditions – Parking Alert
Recent weather has caused a number of difficulties for parking near the school when dropping off and picking up students. There is quite a bit of snow on the street in front of the school making travel and parking difficult. The City has been notified and we are on a list for snow removal. Calgary Parking Authority and Calgary Police Service will be assisting with safe driving enforcement. Please keep the following safety concerns in mind.
- Please do not park or stop in the bus zone. This is not permitted at any time. With the large amount of snow, people are getting stuck. Not only does this present a problem for the driver, it also prevents the bus from pulling up to let the students out.
- Do not do U turns. This is extremely dangerous with parents and students crossing the street and also blocks traffic.
- Please obey the speed restrictions.
- Please be kind.
Weather conditions can make dropping off and picking up students a challenge. Your patience and attention to traffic safety are greatly appreciated.
Casual Day & Fun Lunch Day- Jan 19- Job Day
The Casual Day theme for Jan 19 is - Job Day. What would you like to be when you grow up?
Scholastic Book Fair 2018
Dear Parents and Families,
The Scholastic Book Fair is coming to our school! What better way to promote reading to our students than by supporting this important literary event.
We invite your entire family to participate by purchasing the latest and greatest in children’s books. Your support of this vital literary event is a key part of helping us obtain new books and resources for our library and classrooms.
We look forward to seeing you during our Scholastic Book Fair and thank you, in advance, for supporting this great literary event. Thank you for believing in books and the impact of reading on your child’s future.
- Wednesday, January 31 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Thursday, February 01 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Friday, February 02 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
We are inviting all students to submit a photo of themselves with their pet or stuffy to be displayed at the Book Fair! Kindly send the photos to Mrs. De in the library. Thank you!
Picking Up and Dropping Off Students
Picking up and dropping off students can be a challenge. It takes the cooperation of everyone to ensure the safety of our students and a positive relationship with members of our community. Please adhere to the following rules.
Street in Front of the School
Parking (even for a second) in the bus zone is prohibited. This space must be available for buses at all times.
Help students walk across the street at safe locations. Walking between buses is extremely dangerous.
The front street is narrow making it difficult for cars to travel in both directions. This situation is made worse with parents doing U turns. U turns also create a very dangerous situation for pedestrians crossing the street.
Parking on corners is prohibited and makes it difficult for cars, and especially buses, to travel around the corner to Elbow Drive.
Several of our neighbors have garages that back onto the alley. Please refrain from parking (even for a moment) in front of garages or in front of the fence where there are “no parking” signs. The width of the alley has been measured and “no parking” signs placed where the alley is too narrow to allow for traffic to travel alongside parked cars. The alley can become very congested. Traffic lineups can occur when people park in the narrow part of the alley, turn around in the alley, or attempt to exit the alley onto Elbow Drive. Driving conditions worsen in the alley during the winter increasing hazards of slipping and becoming stuck.
Now that winter weather has arrived, extra precautions are necessary to keep everyone safe. Road ways and alleys can be slippery making it difficult for parents and students to walk on solid footing and for drivers to stop. The following precautions will be essential to keep everyone safe.
- Avoid crossing the road between buses. This makes it difficult for drivers to see pedestrians and stop safely. This is true year round but especially an issue during winter road conditions.
- Park in designated spots in the alley only (not beside the fence where it indicates that it is a no parking zone).
- Avoid parking on the other side of the alley in front of garages. Not only does this narrow the alley passage for vehicles, it also prevents the neighbors from entering/existing their garages.
- Avoid leaving children unsupervised outside at the end of the school day.
- Dress appropriately for the weather.
- Sign up for bus notifications. Winter weather can often result in traffic/accidents and late buses.
- It is dark now in the mornings. Please be mindful that it is much more difficult to see students wearing dark clothing.
Let’s work together to be safe during the winter season.
Edsby is our designated classroom communication link. Use this link to access your edsby account. If you do not have an Edsby account, please contact Miss Hudani so that she can resend you an invite. Please do not create an account as an account has been created for you.
Bristlebots in the Grade 4 Classroom - Erin Petley
Posted on Jan 8 2018
One day, while perusing the world of twitter, I came across a post from @Makerspaces_com about kits for making these creatures called Bristlebots. The kits to purchase contained all the supplies necessary, but having the teacher…
An Award Winning Budget - Reta Morgan
Posted on Dec 4 2017
School jurisdictions can apply for the Meritorious Budget Award (MBA) granted by the Association of School Business Officials (ASBO) International. By submitting its document, FFCA understands the importance of presenting an accessible…
Foundations for an Ever-changing Future - Kurtis Leinweber
Posted on Nov 20 2017
Building the Foundations for an Ever-changing Future I had the opportunity to speak to our staff at the Welcome Back Breakfast in September about the evolving mission of FFCA. It is a message that I think is equally relevant to parents,…