Welcome to our SWE FFCA page!
Be sure to check out our gallery of pictures at the bottom of this page!
There are also important upcoming events and activities posted to this page.
Please find additional info on the Edsby feeds, the Edsby SWE School Talk page, or your child's classroom teacher's Edsby page. You can also follow us on Twitter at @ffca_swe !
Casual Day- March 23- Crazy Hair Day
March 23rd is Crazy Hair Casual and Fun Lunch Day.
Spring Break March 26-April 6
FFCA- SWE will be closed for spring break from March 26-April 6 2018.
Winter Conditions- Parking Alert
Winter Conditions – Parking Alert
Recent weather has caused a number of difficulties for parking near the school when dropping off and picking up students. There is quite a bit of snow on the street in front of the school making travel and parking difficult. The City has been notified and we are on a list for snow removal. Calgary Parking Authority and Calgary Police Service will be assisting with safe driving enforcement. Please keep the following safety concerns in mind.
- Please do not park or stop in the bus zone. This is not permitted at any time. With the large amount of snow, people are getting stuck. Not only does this present a problem for the driver, it also prevents the bus from pulling up to let the students out.
- Do not do U turns. This is extremely dangerous with parents and students crossing the street and also blocks traffic.
- Please obey the speed restrictions.
- Please be kind.
Weather conditions can make dropping off and picking up students a challenge. Your patience and attention to traffic safety are greatly appreciated.
Picking Up and Dropping Off Students
Picking up and dropping off students can be a challenge. It takes the cooperation of everyone to ensure the safety of our students and a positive relationship with members of our community. Please adhere to the following rules.
Street in Front of the School
Parking (even for a second) in the bus zone is prohibited. This space must be available for buses at all times.
Help students walk across the street at safe locations. Walking between buses is extremely dangerous.
The front street is narrow making it difficult for cars to travel in both directions. This situation is made worse with parents doing U turns. U turns also create a very dangerous situation for pedestrians crossing the street.
Parking on corners is prohibited and makes it difficult for cars, and especially buses, to travel around the corner to Elbow Drive.
Several of our neighbors have garages that back onto the alley. Please refrain from parking (even for a moment) in front of garages or in front of the fence where there are “no parking” signs. The width of the alley has been measured and “no parking” signs placed where the alley is too narrow to allow for traffic to travel alongside parked cars. The alley can become very congested. Traffic lineups can occur when people park in the narrow part of the alley, turn around in the alley, or attempt to exit the alley onto Elbow Drive. Driving conditions worsen in the alley during the winter increasing hazards of slipping and becoming stuck.
Now that winter weather has arrived, extra precautions are necessary to keep everyone safe. Road ways and alleys can be slippery making it difficult for parents and students to walk on solid footing and for drivers to stop. The following precautions will be essential to keep everyone safe.
- Avoid crossing the road between buses. This makes it difficult for drivers to see pedestrians and stop safely. This is true year round but especially an issue during winter road conditions.
- Park in designated spots in the alley only (not beside the fence where it indicates that it is a no parking zone).
- Avoid parking on the other side of the alley in front of garages. Not only does this narrow the alley passage for vehicles, it also prevents the neighbors from entering/existing their garages.
- Avoid leaving children unsupervised outside at the end of the school day.
- Dress appropriately for the weather.
- Sign up for bus notifications. Winter weather can often result in traffic/accidents and late buses.
- It is dark now in the mornings. Please be mindful that it is much more difficult to see students wearing dark clothing.
Let’s work together to be safe during the winter season.
Edsby is our designated classroom communication link. Use this link to access your edsby account. If you do not have an Edsby account, please contact Miss Hudani so that she can resend you an invite. Please do not create an account as an account has been created for you.
FFCA Cheer Teams - Brooke Herwig & Erin Cochrane
Posted on Mar 5 2018
FFCA South and North Middle Schools are home to two dedicated and high-achieving cheer teams! The SMS Panthers and the NMS Cobras competed in junior divisions two and one, respectively, this season. Both teams are doing incredibly…
ONLINE VIDEO ANSWERS “WHAT ARE PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOLS?”
Posted on Feb 15 2018
The Association of Alberta Public Charter Schools (www.taapcs.ca) has produced a pair of videos which explain what public charter schools are and how they are a distinctive part of Alberta’s public education system. Whether…
SLC Volunteers at Brown Bagging for Calgary's Kids - Hiba and Bhuvneet
Posted on Feb 5 2018
One of the best experiences that we’ve ever had with SLC was volunteering at the Brown Bagging For Calgary Kids on Friday January 26th. Right when we entered the building they greeted us very kindly and explained what their company…